How to get permission to use the Cross and Crown seal
The Christian Science Board of Directors of The Mother Church is happy to accept requests for permission to use the Cross and Crown seal.
The Cross and Crown seal is a registered trademark of the Christian Science Board of Directors. Therefore, anyone making use of the seal must first have a formal license issued through the Trademark Administrator of The Mother Church. Please pardon the formality and procedure, but it is necessary to protect this valuable trademark.
- You must request, and be formally granted, permission for each separate use of the Cross and Crown.
- In order to make a request, please click here to get the — Request Form for Cross and Crown seal — and submit it by email, fax, or mail to the Trademark Administrator as described on the form, along with a sample or mock-up of your intended use, if available.
- A — sample image of Cross and Crown seal — is available to download and use in your design mock-up only. A final version of the seal will be provided upon approval of your licensing request
- Requests may take up to 4-6 weeks to be approved, and there will be an administrative fee for each different type of use (see Fee Schedule). Regretfully, we cannot provide design services.
- The Church will provide the exact form of the Cross and Crown to use on your final product.
- The Cross and Crown must be used in its entirety. It cannot be distorted and may only be displayed in one solid color.
- The words in the concentric circles may only be used in English at this time. Translations in various languages will be coming later this year. Also, use outside of the US may have special requirements and additional fees because of varying laws.
- The Cross and Crown is a registered trademark of the Christian Science Board of Directors and has long been used on Mary Baker Eddy’s writings and the Christian Science periodicals to indicate the authenticity of these products.
- The Cross and Crown is also emblematic of the unity that branches and church members have with The Mother Church and with each other, and of the fact that such unity is a result of members' and branches' individual and collective commitment to practicing Jesus’ four imperative statements, which appear in the circular band around the Cross and Crown.
- In order to represent this broader meaning of unity and commitment to healing, we're pleased that Christian Science branch churches and societies, Christian Science Reading Rooms, and Christian Science Organizations at colleges and universities may request to use the Cross and Crown.
- It is hoped that, as the Cross and Crown trademark is more widely used in the ways described, it will be increasingly seen by others as an identifying and unifying emblem of our Church.
How to make a request
In order to make a request, please click here — Request Form for Cross and Crown seal — to download the Request Form. The completed request form should be sent by email, fax, or mail to:
The First Church of Christ, Scientist
210 Massachusetts Avenue, P03-10
Boston, MA 02115-3195
Submission of the Request Form is a request only. You'll receive a notification to proceed if your request is approved. Please allow 4 to 6 weeks for processing.
Two approvals are necessary:
- for your type of use (sign, etc.)
- for the actual form of your use (how the sign appears).
Therefore, if you already have a sample or mock-up of the proposed use, please send it by email or regular mail along with the Request Form, so both approvals can be done simultaneously. It will save you time later.
Generally, the following uses will be approved:
- Exterior branch church, society, or Reading Room signage
- Reading Room interior signage or walls
- Advertisements for branch or college organization services, meetings, or lectures (e.g., newspaper, flyers, billboard)
- Branch church or society membership applications, brochures, stationery, newsletters, emails, or websites
We cannot grant requests for use on business cards, stationery, websites, or other promotional material of Journal-advertising Christian Science practitioners and nurses, or for use by institutions or activities for Christian Scientists that are not officially affiliated with The Mother Church (nursing facilities, schools, camps, etc.).
We will send you the exact artwork of the Cross and Crown seal to use in your final design. Regretfully, we cannot provide design services. A sample version of the Cross and Crown trademark is provided for design purposes only.
In order to help offset our administrative costs, especially those associated with providing artwork appropriate for your requested use(s) and specifications, there will be an administrative fee charged for each different use for which you request permission. Please see Fee Schedule below.
Uses outside of the US may have special legal requirements and may require additional fees. Please contact the Trademark Administrator for more information.
Once your request is approved, you'll receive a license agreement. Please sign and return the agreement, along with a check for the administrative fee.
As part of the license, it is understood that if you have not included a sample or mock-up of your use, you will supply us with a copy or picture of the actual use within a reasonable time after production.
If you are granted a license, it will be with the understanding that the product you produce conforms substantially to the information set forth on the request. If your actual use differs substantially from the sample or description you originally submitted, you'll need to supply us with a new request. We reserve the right to ask you to destroy non-conforming uses.
Any authorized use of the Cross and Crown seal must comply with the following guidelines, which may be amended from time to time by The First Church of Christ, Scientist:
- The design and proportions of the seal must not be altered in any way, except that the size may be changed to match the proposed use. You may also change its color to any solid color.
- The seal must be used with the words in the concentric circles in English: “Heal the Sick, Cleanse the Lepers, Raise the Dead, Cast out Demons.” The words must be legible and may not be translated or edited.
- The seal must never be depicted with any type of motion, e.g., the seal must not be depicted in a video or on an Internet web page as spinning or otherwise animated.
- Unless otherwise permitted by us, the trademark notice (® or TM) must remain visible and in the proper place as it is given in the specimen we provide to you.
- If your actual use changes from the sample or description you have given in the request, you will need to supply us with a new request, and your current license becomes null and void.
- If your branch has used the seal and disbands, please notify the Trademark Administrator, so that the license may be terminated and all uses of the seal destroyed.
- Trademark protection may be lost through improper use, abandonment, or dilution. To minimize this risk, it is imperative that you use the seal in accordance with these guidelines.
To help defray costs associated with this permission process, the fees are as follows:
USD $250 per use for each of the following:
- Exterior branch church, society, or Reading Room signage ($250)
- Long-term large format advertisements (one year in duration or longer), e.g., billboards, airport kiosks ($250)
USD $150 for the following:
Special "Reading Room kit" of artwork that is customizable to include contact information for a local Reading Room and staff. You receive a set of electronic files to take to a local vendor to produce.Four color combinations are available (teal, purple, coral or gray scale).
It includes templates for all of the following:
- Business cards
- Name badges
It is available in four different colors. This kit is not available to order through CDS or the
wholesale shopping cart.
Files are .pdfs that are packaged in a .zip folder. Each pdf includes writable text boxes
for you to include your Reading Room information. You can save these files after entering
your Reading Room information and have them produced by a local vendor.
The bookmark included in this kit has a reverse side that can be customized to include a
picture of your Reading Room and a map of its location. You will need to work with your
printer or a graphic designer to include this information.
The fee charged for this kit — which has been significantly reduced for this package —
helps cover the administrative costs of the Cross and Crown licensing program. If you
would like to design your own version of these items, a fee will have to be assessed
separately for each item.
To purchase this kit please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
USD $100 per use for each of the following:
- Reading Room interior signage or walls ($100)
- Branch church or society membership applications ($100)
- Branch church or society brochures ($100)
- Branch church or society stationery or emails ($100)
- Branch church or society newsletters ($100)
- Branch church or society websites ($100)
- Short-term large format advertisements (less than one year in duration), e.g., lecture banners, buses ($100)
USD $50 per use for the following:
- Advertisements for branch or college organization services, meetings or lectures, e.g., newspaper, flyers**
For example, if a branch requests to use the Cross and Crown on a membership application, brochure, and exterior signage, there will be a fee for these uses of $450 ($100 + $100 + $250).
Use outside of the United States may have special requirements and additional fees because of varying laws regarding trademark licensing.
**Licenses for these USD $50 uses will be valid for up to one year. A new lecture ad requires a new license permission request. However, republication of an identical advertisement for church services, for example, does not require an additional permission unless there are changes in the design of the advertisement.
Contact us at email@example.com.