Admission of new members
Applications for membership are welcome now. The next admission of new members will take place on June 5, 2015. Completed forms for the next admission should reach the Clerk no later than June 2. But there is no need to wait, applications can be sent in as soon as they are complete.
As you are considering membership, you'll want to review the platform of Christian Science found in Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy (pages 330 to 340). Also, please review the Church Manual especially the Tenets of The Mother Church (page 15) and “Qualifications for Membership” (page 34).
Steps for filling out an application form (details below)
- Determine which application form to use
- Print the form
- Complete the form
- Get approval signatures
- Mail in the form
- After we receive the form
Has someone asked you to sign his or her application? One way to shine, an article from Christian Science teacher, Nathan Talbot, provides a thoughtful consideration of the significance and importance of this role.
Want to know who can approve your application? The details below explain who can sign each form.
Admission to membership
Forms which have been properly completed, signed, and sent to the Clerk of The Mother Church are then submitted to the Christian Science Board of Directors. The Board votes to admit new members during a regular business meeting held "on the Friday preceding the first Sunday in June and on the first Friday in November of each year" (Church Manual, p. 56). After this vote, a welcome letter is sent to new members.
Visit this webpage to learn more about the activities of church members.
- If you have been taught by an authorized Christian Science teacher, use Form 1 (.pdf) - (8 1/2 x 11 paper) (A4 paper).
- If you have not been taught by an authorized Christian Science teacher, use Form 2 (.pdf) - (8 1/2 x 11 paper) (A4 paper).
- If you have been taught by an authorized Christian Science teacher, but your teacher will not be signing your application, use the Special Form (online).
- The form is two pages; feel free to print it on both sides of one sheet. Click on the link below to access the form you need.
- Online application (you will still need to print out the form, sign it, and mail it to the Office of the Clerk).
- Form 1 (.pdf) - (8 1/2 x 11 paper) (A4 paper)
- Form 2 (.pdf) - (8 1/2 x 11 paper) (A4 paper)
- Special Form (online)
- To receive an application by mail, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-617-450-3481.
- Sign your name to the Tenets.
- Complete the name and address section – please write legibly.
- Have the appropriate Church members approve and/or countersign the form. The countersigner must be a teacher of Christian Science (C.S.B.) authorized by the Board of Education.
- If you are under legal age in your country – don’t forget to ask a parent or guardian to sign the permission section of the form.
- Form 1: Your teacher will sign the application and send it to the Clerk of The Mother Church. NOTE: No additional signature is required.
- Form 2: A member of The Mother Church must approve the application and sign the form, then the member will give your application to a Christian Science teacher to countersign and send to the Clerk of The Mother Church. NOTE: If a Christian Science teacher signs as the member, there is no need for an additional signature.
- Special Form: Note: The special form should be signed in compliance with the Church Manual By-Law Article V, Section 4, Exceptional Cases.
- If you don't know a member of The Mother Church, there are many ways to contact someone.
The First Church of Christ, Scientist
210 Massachusetts Avenue
Boston, MA 02115-3195
- We will send you an email or a letter letting you know we have received your application.
- If the application is incomplete, we will write back to let you know what is missing.
- There have been instances when mail has been delayed or gone astray in the post. If you have submitted an application but have not heard back from us within a month, please follow up with us to be sure we have received it.
- If you move after you send in your application but before you are admitted, please email email@example.com.